Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bento---one of the best asian creations EVER!

I am so excited about my new bento! I have been wanting one for quite awhile. I really wanted one that was insulated, but while out shopping with my mom a few weeks ago at Meijer, I spotted this one! It is from the Katie Brown collection in their home good department. If you aren't familiar with what a bento is (besides being one of the best things ever) it is also a stackable lunchbox often used in Asian countries.

It is absolutely great for picnics/potlucks as well. I really love the size of this one. I used it today for a work potluck and it was wonderful. There are three of us in the office that do a potluck each week and each time, we do a different cuisine. We started with just a general potluck, then we did Mexican, French, German and this week was Greek. We all agreed that Greece must be revisited. One of the other girls brought in Mousaka which I had never had before and it was phennomenal. It's similar to a Eggplant Lasagna but quite labor intensive, so we were very grateful that she made it! Another girl brought in dessert; Cheese Baklava...and that was also delicious! I got the easy dish this week (lucky me) and made homemade hummus, brought in cut vegetables, pita chips and made a Greek Chickpea Salad.

See pics below of my wonderful new item.

Also, I must mention that this bento was RIDICULOUSLY affordable. Bento's usually are in the range of $75.00-$125.00 and this one was only $19.99 (not sure why, but the website says $24.99)! How great is that? But as I said before, it is not an insulated one. But I had a great idea---filling a freezer bag with ice and putting it in the middle compartment...that would keep the top and bottom cold I'm sure. I may test that out sometime. If I do, I will let you know how it goes.



My new bento!

Pita Chips.

Carrots, celery and homemade Garlic Hummus.


Greek Chickpea Salad

All the compartments!

No comments:

Post a Comment