Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I <3 Rachel.

I am a magazine junkie.  I subscribe, I buy and I borrow and receive others who have finished reading them.  There is one that I particularly love getting every summer....and it's this beauty!  


I looooooove the Rachel Ray summer (June) edition.  There is always such good variety and amazing salad ideas.  I particularly love any salad where cucumbers are the main ingredient on a hot summer day.  This issue had a Cucumber and Radish salad that I just had to try.  I must say it was delish!  I also have another recipe from the same issue marinating in my fridge called Coconut Curry Chicken.  I think the two will go nicely together as they both have a asian flair to them.  I'm letting the chicken marinate til tomorrow since my hubs will be gone til the wee hours for football and the kiddos will be with Grandma.

So while my kids were building forts on the other side of the room, I was giving these recipes a go.

The Cucumber Radish Salad was a cinch to make.  Simply combine and whisk together 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 3 tbs of sugar, 2 tbs of fish sauce and 1/4 tsp of crushed red pepper.  Add three sliced cucumbers and four radishes cut into strips and you're done!  How cinchy?



I gave it a try and it was perfect.  A little bit of tartness from the lime and a little bit of heat from the radish and red pepper.  Yum.

The chicken was simple to get prepped as well.  I actually added a bit more of the recipe as my kids are going through a phase of constant eating.  (Growth spurt on the way)?  I will share what the actual recipe calls for in case you don't have heathen kids who are asking for grub every ten minutes.  

For the Coconut Curry Chicken you simple whisk 1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tbsp of grated ginger and 1 tbs green curry paste.  Add (6) boneless, skinless chicken thighs and marinate for 15 minutes.  Grill them on an oiled grill on medium heat for about fifteen minutes, until cooked through.  Top if with 1/3 cup of fresh cilantro and serve with lime slices.  


As I said, mine is going to marinate over night.  And we won't be eating til tomorrow so I don't know what the outcome will be but I do curry a lot and this marinate smells oh so yummy.  I'm pretty confident it will be delicious,  but will certainly let you know.  I am thinking about grilling pineapple to go with and we will serve up some jasmine rice with it as well.

As a note, in case you have a hard time finding unsweetened coconut milk - it wasn't in the international aisle with the regular coconut milk.  You can find it in the baking section.  You might want to check both places as I am sure it depends on the grocery store.

Try the recipes out and let me know what you think!  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment