Thursday, February 24, 2011

Judy's Strawberry Pretzel Salad


For the most part, when I plan a dessert I go one way or the other.  I either want it to have some kind of fresh fruit in it or have no healthy stuff in it at all.  In my mind, the first justifies all the sweet stuff that is also included.  Monday night I made this recipe.  I don't know why it is called a salad.  There is nothing salady  (is that a word)? about it.  Regardless, it was delicious and of course made with mostly items I had on hand.  I did make a few minor changes though.

The dessert is basically three layers; the crust, a cream cheese mixture and then jello/strawberry mixture.

Here are the ingredients I used for the crust as instructed

1.5 cups of crushed pretzels. 
4.5 tbs of white sugar
3/4 cup melted butter

You mix the pretzels and sugar in a bowl.  Pour the melted butter on top and stir.  Press the mixture to the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  I used glass.  Bake this at 350 for ten minutes...no more!  So many of the reviews for this recipe said to make sure you don't go over the ten minutes.  The crust may not look done, but it is.  Let it cool.

Rather than move on to the cream section, I changed the steps a bit since I was using fresh strawberries rather than frozen.  I washed the strawberries, sliced them and placed them in a bowl.  I sprinkled with a little sugar so some juice would be released. to make it more similar to the frozen version which contains juice.


 I moved on to the cream cheese section which I used the following ingredients.

(2) 8 oz blocks of cream cheese
(1) cup of sugar
(2) tbs of vanvilla extract
(1) 8 oz container of Cool Whip

The original recipe does not call for the vanilla....but I knew it would be better if I added it.  You blend the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla together til smooth.  Then, fold in the cool whip.  Spread this over the cooled crust making sure that none of the jello mixture you will be working on next can seep through to the crust which will make it soggy.  Lastly, refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Cream Cheese, Sugar and Vanilla Extract.

Those three ingredients blended.
With the Cool Whip folded in.
Spread over the crust.
Next, for the final layer.  You need the following:
(1) 6 oz pkg. of Strawberry jello
(2) cups boiling water
sliced strawberries with juice from above

Dissolve the jello in the boiling water.  Add your strawberries.  I waited a bit before adding mine to the hot liquid.  I let it sit about 10 minutes or so before adding them.  I didn't want them to turn mushy.  After mixing, pour the mixture on top of the cream cheese layer.  Refrigerate for an hour or til set.  I did mine late at night, so it had the entire night to set. 


We had it the following night and it was delish!


This is one to try.  You can use the original recipe found here or use my version with fresh strawberries and the added vanilla.  Either way it is yum.  Also, if you're not a strawberry fan, I am sure it would be good with raspberry jello and raspberries as well.  Get creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment