Monday, February 18, 2013

Brussel Sprouts...yum!

When I was younger I could easily say I didn't like these tiny little veggies that look like mini cabbages. The way my parents made them was to boil the ones that come frozen in a pot of water. This didn't allow me to truly appreciate what their potential could be.

Now that I am older and wiser (seriously...I will be THIRTY in just over a week), I have come to realize, if cooked correctly Brussels Sprouts are amazing!

First step, without a doubt is to buy fresh brussel sprouts. Get fresh. You will need 8 cups or about four pints of them. Next, gather these following items for the recipe. As always, I cook mostly with things I have on hand, so it's likely that outside of the sprouts you have these things too...

3 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 apple, cored and cubed into 1" pieces
2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and when it's warm put the bacon on a baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes. While the bacon is cooking, wash the brussels sprouts, trim the ends and cut in half. By the time the bacon is done you will be ready to add them to the baking sheet in in a single layer as well. Before returning them to the oven sprinkle the whole thing with salt and pepper. Roast for 12 minutes.

Now for some sweetness. Pull out the pan and add the apples. Back in the oven it all goes for another 10-15 minutes.

Using a spatula take all the yumminess from the pan and into a bowl. Mix in the vinegar and serve!

This may be your new favorite veggie side dish.

I refrained from eating it all but took a bowl of them to work the next day as a snack! Delish!

No comments:

Post a Comment