Thursday, February 21, 2013

Love yourself.

So I have been debating on writing this post for almost two weeks now.  I don't know what my hesitation has been but I cannot deny that its been there.  It's nothing huge but just my reaction to my day of shopping.

So not last weekend, but the one prior I took my mom shopping because there were (ahhhhhmazing) sales going on.  I only knew this because I got a flyer in the mail from J.C. Penney.  I never go shopping for anything but groceries, household items or kids clothes anymore.  A store literally has to send out a nearly full size colorful flyer to get my attention.  I am glad this one drew me in because not only did they have sales from 60%-80% off, but so did Macy's.  And of course, I stopped and found some great deals in Gymboree and Children's Place for the wee ones.

My mom and I have a odd way of shopping together.  We go into stores together, start in the same area but quickly get separated leaving us having to call one another and me telling her to stay in her spot so I can locate her.  She shops really really slow.  On this particular day, I wasn't rushed since Clint was at home with the kiddos so I took my time.  In my shopping and my people watching I overheard some interesting conversations around me.

Have you heard the expression "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"?  Of course you have.  Everyone has heard it.  By the end of my shopping excursion, this expression kept going through my mind.  Why you ask?  Because while browsing I heard countless women put themselves down.  Either they'd say to their co-shopper "I could never pull this off", "This is too young for  me", "My hips are way too wide", "This would look great on you but not me", "I'm too fat now" and another person said to her friend in the next dressing room "I looks like a disaster".  I have to admit, I said similar things to myself when picking up items and replacing them on the rack.  All of the women including myself were all shapes, sizes, young and old.

Back to the expression - "if you don't have anything nice to say, don'y say anything at all".  I got to thinking...why doesn't it apply to the things we say to ourselves?  Why are we so quick to put ourselves down?  I think that often times we unknowingly and  unconsciously put ourselves down so often that we don't even notice it anymore.  If you are guilty of this - STOP IT because you ARE gorgeous.  Even when you don't feel it or a in a rut, there is someone that is noticing the smile you just shared that made their day, your bright eyes that exude kindness, your perfect button nose, your hands that offer a kind touch, your laugh that is infectious or even what is on the inside -your heart that is so lovable that it feels physical to others.

When you overhear someone putting themselves down I encourage you to build them back up.  Even if they aren't busy putting themselves down and you happen to see something that catches your attention offer a compliment. Tell them what you notice that's great about them that they don't see.  Don't just offer the compliment to people you know but give one to a stranger.  Trust me, there isn't a person that you can come into contact with that doesn't have a great quality.  The way it makes them and yourself feel will make a world of difference.

Like I said, I don't know what my hesitation of posting these thoughts were, but now that I have I am glad I did.  I have literally been thinking about it every day since my outing.  Thanks for reading and remember...if you don't have anything nice to say - even about yourself - don't say anything at all.  You ARE gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment