Thursday, February 7, 2013

Grilled Cheese with a KICK!

I think the key to a great sandwich is first and foremost great quality bread!  Of course I like my classic PB&J on cheap white bread, but a good quality sandwich calls for good quality bread.  Next is the cheese.  MmmMmm.  These two ingredients can surely make or break a sandwich.  I am telling you now that it is so worth dropping into Panera Bread or your local bakery and spending a little extra dough!  (pun intended-I know-I am a nerd).  

So I bought some sourdough and made this yummy deliciousness;  a Jalapeno Grilled Cheese!  Oh my word was it delicious and it had just the right amount if spice to it for myself but a tiny bit too much for the hubs and way too much for the kiddos.  

First thing I did was ever so carefully slice the peppers in half and remove the seeds.  As a note, it is a good idea to wear gloves and to dispose of them after use.  Do NOT to touch your eyes especially after handing these potent, innocent looking green beauties. I baked them in the oven flesh down in the oven at 400 degrees after tossing them with a little extra virgin olive oil and sprinkling with a tad of salt. I let them bake for about 12 minutes until the skin on them blistered.  I removed them and let them cool a bit.  In the meantime, I sliced some generous slices of the sourdough, lightly buttered one side of each with butter and the side of one slice with cream cheese.  I added a slice of cheddar and lined a piece with the roasted jalapenos.  Then in classic grilled cheese fashion, I added the other side of the buttered bread and cooked on medium heat in a pan.  

This is the result:

Boy was it amazing!

It is something that I will make again, especially during Lent as I often eat vegetarian sandwiches when meat is being omitted from my diet.  I think this would be amazing with the addition of mushrooms to add to the heartiness as well as a few tomato slices!

If you want to add a but of creaminess to your grilled cheese, add some cream cheese and for kick, be adventurous and add some yummy jalapeno!

No comments:

Post a Comment