Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Chicken Tacos---Yummers!

Over the weekend, I bought some ground chicken. I usually opt for ground turkey on most occassions because its leaner than beef...but for some reason--I went with ground chicken. I couldn't decide what I wanted to make with it at first. I was thinking a meatloaf at one point, then thought of adding it to a spaghetti sauce....but I wanted something different. Since I was craving something fresh---I went with tacos with fresh lime juice and cilantro.

I found the recipe on Allrecipes.com (which is my all time fave site for recipes), and made some adaptations.

The recipes calls for the following:

1.5 lb skinless, boneless chicken breast (I used 1 lb of ground chicken breast)
1/8 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 lime, juiced (I used an entire lime)
1 tsp white sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano (I omitted this--someone tell me why oregano would be in this dish)?
10 flour tortillas
1 tomato, diced (I had some great on-the-vine ones)
1/4 shredded lettuce (I used red leaf lettuce)
1/4 cup salsa (we didn't have any--so we skipped this ingredient)

Directions state to:
1. Saute chicken in medium saucepan over medium heat for about 20 minutes. Add vinegar, lime juice, sugar, salt, pepper, green onion, garlic and oregano. Simmer for an extra ten minutes.


Sidenote - the chicken did not take 20 minutes to cook. While it was cooking though, I was mixing the ingredients that went into the saucepan in a small bowl. In lieu of the oregano--which I thought did not belong in the dish at all, I added cumin to taste and fresh, chopped cilantro. I did not measure since I just grabbed from my plant---but I'd say I used just under 1/4 cup. These two ingredients with the additional lime I added, made the dish very flavorful.

2. Heat and iron skillet over medium heat. Place a tortilla in the pan, warm, and turn over to heat the other side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Serve lime pixture in warm tortillas topped with tomatoe, lettuce, cheese and salsa.



Sidenote - I nixed this whole step by placing my tortillas on a paper plate and warming them in the microwave for 10 seconds. It made them wam and perfectly soft. Also, for toppings we used chopped onions, guacamole and sour cream.


This recipe was AMAZING! Clint and I were both suprised at how delicious it was. The flavors were perfectly balanced and it was just the right meal for a hot, humid summer day. Jude loved it as well. He mostly ate the chicken which he dipped in guacamole. It was so good that there was not any left over--which made clean up much easier. (no packing things in storage containers, etc.).
PS. I used a picture that user, chibi chef posted to the AllRecipes site as everyone was hungry and I did not have time to snap any pics.

No comments:

Post a Comment