Monday, September 26, 2011

Butternut Squash Puree

It's baby food making time!  It is hard to believe that in one short month, our little girl will already be eating solids.  I decided to get a jump start on the baby food making and made her butternut squash puree this week.  I highly recommend making baby food.  Not only is it a cinch and obviously healthier, but it is delicious as well.  Everytime I make it, I can never resist spooning myself a small bowl full as well.

I especially am fortunate that she was born just in time to enjoy all the wonderful foods that fall has to offer.  Not only will we be making a variety of squashes, but there will be pumpkin and sweet potatoes in the freezer as well!  As I did with Jude, I believe that her first food will be avacado.  Jude loved it and I hope she does as well.  Those babies are chock full of healthy yummyness.  Like bananas, avacoados are served to babies simply mashed until creamy.  No cooking necessary.  It is not uncommon to find either a banana or avacado in my diaper bag once the kiddos start to eat. They are so convenient for taking to restaurants.  Simply ask the server for a plate or bowl, peel and mash away!   

Like I said, baby food making is a cinch.  For this butternut squash puree, you simply preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Cut the squash in half exposing the flesh, scoop out the seeds and place face down onto a baking sheet.  You fill the pan with about an inch and a half of water and bake for approximately 40-50 minutes.  The shell of the squash will pucker and brown.  Once it is done baking, remove the "meat" and scoop into a blender.  Puree until it is smooth and creamy.  Transfer to ice cube trays or cubes made especially for baby food and freeze.  Ta da....BABY FOOD!

Three squash will make about (24) two ounce containers of baby food depending on the size of your squash.  I made twenty because I devoured the other four ounces myself.

Cut the squash in half.  This can be rather difficult as the shell is hard.

Place face down after scooping out the seeds.

Bake and they look like this when done.

 Puree

 And freeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment