Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Chicken Fried Rice

I love to make fried rice because it reminds me of special occassions in our home growing up. My mom would only make it once in awhile at a family members request and it was only for potlucks or holidays. I have taken cues from my mom and have always just used what I had on hand for the vegetables but I always use chicken and my mom always uses beef. I am just a huge chicken fan and use it the majority of the time for the protein in my dishes.



The first step is to chop - chop - and chop some more.



Here are the ingredients I used:

(2) cups of potatoes, peeled and diced.

(1) cup of red onions, diced. (you can use any type of onion--but all I had was red).

(1) small green bell pepper from the garden, diced.

(1) cup of frozen edamamme (so healthy for you)!

(1.5) lb chicken breast, diced.

(3) cups white rice, steamed and cooled.

(2) eggs, beaten with (2) tbs water.

(2) tbs butter.

salt and pepper to taste.

(1/3) cup soy sauce.




Here are all my veggies cut up! I love the colors!



Next, after beating (2) eggs mixed with (2) tbs of eggs, I fry it flat in (2) tbs of butter. You make it similar to an omellette and fold it in order to cut it into bite size pieces.



Next, I diced (1.5) cups of chicken breast and cooked it in (2) tbs oil and set aside.



In the same pan that the chicken was cooked in, I added (2) tbs more of oil and cooked potatoes til done. Remove from pan and set aside.



Next, saute the onions and edammame in oil til soft.



Mix in (3) cups of cooled white rice to the onion and edammame mixture. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Now add the cooked chicken, egg and potatoes. Cook till all ingredients are heated through. I like to let some parts of the rice get a bit more fried so there are a few crunchy bites in there and mix them in. Next, add soy sauce to taste. I tend to use about 1/3 cup and keep some on the table for others to add to their liking. Cook with the soy sauce for about 2 more minutes and serve.



And here you have the finished product! A big bowl of yummy fried rice!

As with almost all of my recipes, you can easily make substitutions. I don't usually have a lot of edamamme on hand and often times use peas instead. Also, most people don't put potatoes in their fried rice, but I don't think I could make it an NOT put it in! I have always made it with them and love when I get a taste of it in a bite. Try it for yourself. Once you've had fried rice with potatoes, you will love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment