Thursday, August 19, 2010

My treasures!

I cannot believe the wonderful treasures I have found at garage sales this summer!  I am amazed everytime I score a great deal.  I thought that I would share a few items that are in the garage now waiting for some refinishing. 

The first item I want to introduce is this amazing table I bought for Jude.  I had been looking for a table for him to color/draw/paint/read at and play with his toys.  We are planning on moving Jude from his current room to the guest room as it is more spacious and it will allow him to have different areas in his room.  A place for sleeping, a place for playing, a place for reading and a place for crafty things.  When I was first thinking about the space, I was looking for a round table where I could set three chairs around.  The reason I wanted three was in case his two best pals, Eli and Maddox (when they get about 6-9 months older) came over to play or his two cousins, Dominic and Addison.  The height of this table will not allow chairs, so I thought I would sew floor cushions or make stools with a nice cushy pad.  I am still on the fence about it, so we will see.  I plan on painting this table because I don't want it to be wood tone but we will have to see what we decide for the wall colors first. 

Can you guess how much I paid for this table that we will get so much use out of over many many years?

Drumroll please!

It was $3.00!  Can you believe that?  I was amazed and thrilled. 

It was the perfect size and very sturdy.  Jude has already crawled on it a gazillion times and stood on it. 


Here is Jude standing next to it.


Item #2 is actually something I found at an estate sale I went to with my Father in law, Ron.  I know you all prolly think I am nuts about sales but I am nothing compared to ol' Ronald.  He is retired, so that is just what he does.  He is an avid collector and loves antiques.  But even more, he loves a great deal.  I must also mention that my father in law is very charming and makes friends very easily, like my husband.  When he goes to a sale, he really gets to know people and they warm up to him quickly.  Sometimes so much that they invite him into their home.  Also, he is great at "making deals" and getting a better price out of them.  A great convenience of having Ron around (besides that he is the BEST father in law a girl could ask for) is that if you are looking for something, all you have to do is mention it to him and he will find it for you at a sale and give you a call.  He will describe it in great detail, tell you the price and then tell you what price he can prolly get it at for you.  It's amazing and I cannot tell you how often I use this service of his!

Anyways, I bought this cabinet for only $35.00 at the estate sale. 


My plans for it is to paint it an aged white and glaze the edges and details.  Then, I am going to paint the back panel yellow and do a design on the entire back as well.  I am thinking about doing one of these designs.  If I did the first one, I would have the outlines be the white and the main color be yellow.  If I chose something like the second one, I'm not sure which elements would be white and which would be yellow.


The third item on my docket is this shelf.  I found this at a garage sale yesterday and got a great deal on it. Something drew me to it.  I loved the details around the edges.  This isn't a normal shelf.  You cannot tell from the pictures but it is almost like a shodow box of some kind.  The outside frame will stick out from the wall and the shelfs you see will be against the wall so it will jut out a bit.  I must mention that it is quite large as well.  I have no idea what I am going to do with this, where it's going to hand or what color it will become.  But, I assure you I will find a purpose for it. 

How much did I pay, you ask? ONE DOLLAR!

Yes, just one smackaroo!

SCORE!




The following item is one that I saw from the car as Clint and I (and Jude sleeping in the backseat) were driving by a garage sale.  I saw it right away and loved it from afar.  I thought it was going to be super expensive since it was massive.  Right now, it is a gold hue but for some odd reason something is telling me it should be yellow.  I don't know what my obsession with yellow has been recently, but I thought it would make this piece look modern and fresh. 

Want to know how much I paid? 

$15.00. 

Actually, Clint paid $15.00.  He bought it for me because he knew I was in love with it.


Look at all the detail?  I was drooling when I saw this mirror!


Lastly, I bought this HUGE lamp at Goodwill about a month ago for so cheap.  It had the ugliest, worn down and broken lamp shade I had ever seen and there was no saving it.  In fact, I left it behind and asked that they just throw it away.  The lamp stands very tall and is very heavy.  Most importantly, it works!  This will get an update and a space as soon as I find a lampshade that will look right on such a huge lamp!

And for this bad boy----$1.99!

Ah, the joy I get from money well spent!

1 comment:

  1. You have been a busy bee finding all these "COOL" thrifty treasures...love that little $3 table! Hop over and show them off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY and enter my giveaway!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete