Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hearty Stuffed Pepper Soup - So easy peasy!

I wanted to make something this past week that was hassle free and that I could make a lot of. I was looking to make a lot because I wanted to send some to my father-in-law as he was on his own for a week since Faye, his wife, was in the Phillippines. I thought that this soup recipe that I got from AllRecipes.com would be perfect. It was! I did make some small changes -mostly with the amounts of ingredients that were used. I added a bit more green pepper, more rice and more tomatoes. You can follow the recipes from AllRecipes as is...and I am sure it would turn out wonderful.
I started by browning (1) lb of ground sirloin. (forgot to take a pic).
Chop (2) Large Green Pepper.
Chop (1) onion. Add the green peppers and onions to the large pot that holds the cooked and drained ground sirloin. Cook until onions are translucent.
I used (2) 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes and (1) 28 oz can of whole peeled tomatoes that I crushed up with my hands as I added it to my pot. I used these as it was what I had on hand. Add these to the pot.
I used a little more than (1/2) can of this 29 oz tomato sauce. Add this to the pot.
Pour in (2) cans of chicken broth.
Add Thyme and sage to taste along with salt and pepper. Cook this mixture for approximately 40 minutes until the peppers are tender.
Meanwhile, I cooked 1.5 cups of white rice. I used instant whole grain since it was all I had left since I made fried rice previously. Add this to the soup after the 40 minutes and stir it in well.
This is the end result. Delicious Stuffed Pepper Soup. It really does taste like stuffed peppers! Promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment